Are you wanting to grow your business’s social media presence on TikTok?
The TikTok platform has a lot to offer and it can get confusing! Luckily, we have created this complete guide to create a TikTok marketing strategy.
Keep reading to learn best practices and everything you need to know to build a successful TikTok Business account
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a form of video marketing that was created in 2018 and has been growing immensely since.
With over 3 billion downloads and over one billion monthly active users, the social channel has been a huge success.
So what do people post on TikTok? The main type of TikTok content is short video.
These videos can range from 15 seconds to 3 minutes, and they are currently in the process of releasing 5 and 10-minute features as well.
You can expand your reach as a TikTok user by choosing from among thousands of filters, branded effects, and popular audio tracks.
It’s critical to make the most of these capabilities in order to grow your account fast
The creators of TikTok have also added a story feature and a live video feature, similar to Instagram marketing and Facebook marketing.
TikTok users can follow their favorite creators, like and comment on their posts, and share their favorite videos with their friends.
The “For You” tab features a never-ending cycle of videos that have been carefully selected based on the users’ interests.
How TikTok Can Grow Your Business
So how can you use TikTok to grow your business? Tiktok has become one essential part of a business’s social media strategies.
The platform is constantly growing and adding new features that allow you to connect with your audience in unique ways.
According to AppAnnie’s 2022 app rankings, TikTok is the top app for consumer spend in 2022.
This means that marketing your business on the platform can significantly increase your sales.
You can do this by creating relevant organic content to your business that will help you reach potential customers that have an interest in your products and services.
Whether this is by following TikTok trends, going live, or utilizing TikTok advertising, there are many ways you can use the TikTok platform to grow your business.
TikTok offers a specific TikTok for business accounts for business owners like yourself, so keep reading to find out how you can set up your account.
Let’s get started!
Creating Your Account
The first step to creating a successful TikTok marketing strategy is creating your account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download app or go to https://www.tiktok.com/
- Click sign up and enter the required information.
Choose a username that is relevant to your business (preferably your exact business name.)
Make sure your usernames are consistent across all social media sites so that others can find you easily!
- Once you’ve signed up, you will be taken to your account’s empty landing page.
To make your account a business account, click the three lines in the upper right corner and click ‘settings and privacy’.
Then click ‘manage account’ and select ‘switch to business account’
- Next, you will be asked to select the category of your business. These range anywhere from art to education, so make sure to choose the one that best represents your business.
- Once you have finished answering the rest of the basic questions you are asked, it’s time to customize your profile.
You should add a bio, a profile picture, and your business’s website. You also have the option to link your YouTube and Instagram accounts.
That’s it! Now you have successfully created a TikTok Business account for your business.
How to Use the TikTok Platform
Let’s briefly go over the TikTok platform before we dive into creating your TikTok marketing strategy. Be sure to follow these great examples!
There are many amazing features that TikTok business accounts have access to.
First, we’re going to cover the basics.
1. For You Page
When looking at the TikTok platform on a mobile device, the For You Page (also known as discover page) is located on the bottom left, indicated by a house icon.
When you click this icon you will be brought to your For You Page which is the central location where you will be shown other TikTok videos.
It is a never-ending stream of videos. The videos that are shown to you are based off of the type of videos that you typically interact with.
2. Your Profile Page
On your home page for your account, there are many important features.
First, you will see your profile picture and your bio, which you should have previously set up, then you will see a collection of your videos.
TikTok also gives you the ability to save drafts of videos if you are not ready to post them right away. You will see all of your saved drafts on this page as well.
You can also see tabs for your saved and liked videos. You can turn off the ability for the public to see your liked videos if you choose to do so.
3. Post Video Icon
You will see a black icon with a plus sign in the lower middle of your screen. To upload a video or begin a new video recording, click this button.
Once you click the icon, you will be taken to a screen where you have access to all of the effects, filters, and audio that you can choose from to create your TikTok video.
Lastly, the analytics feature is extremely important for businesses on TikTok. To get to your analytics, click the three lines in the top right corner of your screen when on your profile page.
Then, select creator tools and click analytics. You will then be shown several different analytics for your account.
The overview section shows analytics for your engagement rates, follower count, content, and live videos.
As a business owner, you should be utilizing these analytics features often so you can make the most out of your account.
Define Your Target Audience
Defining your target audience is an important step in developing your TikTok marketing strategy. You need to decide who you want to reach on TikTok.
While TikTok is most popular amongst teenagers, there are still many other audience segments that you can reach!
Once you have chosen your potential audience, research the type of content that they enjoy, and spend some time engaging with the content.
Now that you are comfortable with the type of content they like, it’s time to brainstorm ideas for your own creative content.
Create Your First Video
Now it’s time to create your first video.
First, you need to decide on your video idea. If you’re unsure of what to post, check out our post here to get 25 engaging TikTok ideas for businesses.
A great video to start with is an introduction video about your business.
Scroll through the trending audios and find one that you want to use for your business.
Make sure the audio you chose complies with copyright regulations if you have a business account.
Make sure that the content you use in your videos is clear and high quality, and that the sound quality is clear and easy to understand.
Once you add your audio to your video, it’s time to write your caption. Make your caption something that relates to the video.
The next step is one of the most important– add hashtags! We recommend including around 5 hashtags for each post.
Do some hashtag research beforehand to see which hashtags are trending that relate to your video.
Try including some smaller, less popular hashtags so you have less competition for getting your video to the top of the hashtag.
You should also include popular business-related hashtags like #smallbusinesscheck and #smalbizowner.
Now that your caption is finished, it’s time to hit post and let your online presence take off!
Let’s briefly discuss five video ideas for your TikTok marketing strategy that will help you increase brand awareness and drive sales.
1. Packing an Order Video
The younger audience on TikTok love packing an order videos. This is a common type of video that small business owners post, and they almost always go viral.
All you have to do is record yourself packaging orders! This is the perfect opportunity to show off your online store and all of your hard work.
2. Repost Your Customer’s Reviews
Reposting user generated content from your customers is a great way to show how appreciative you are of your customers.
It will also make a huge difference in your sales. When user generated customer reviews are shown in a TikTok user’s feed, they will be more likely to want to engage with the brand.
This is due to the authentic, honest review that was created by the customer.
3. Hold a Contest
Many brands like to hold contests for free or discounted products.
To do this you first have to decide on the contest measures. These measures can range from liking and commenting on a video, to posting a video about why they love your business.
Once you decide on the contest winner, you can then offer them a discounted or free product from your business!
4. Spotlight Your Employees
Show your employees appreciation by doing employee spotlights!
You can pick a new employee every week or month to spotlight.
There are many ways you could do employee spotlights. One way you could do it is by having the employee take over the account for the day.
To TikTok Users, this comes across as your business being very appreciative of your employees and their hard work.
5. Partner With Influencers
Influencer marketing is always an effective way to reach new audiences.
TikTok is full of popular content creators that would love to participate in influencer marketing and partner with your company.
By partnering with influencers, fans of the influencers will feel more inclined to engage with your brand, helping you sell products and/or services.
Research TikTok creators to find the best ones that fit your business goals. To learn more tips for your influencer marketing strategy, check out this post next.
Promote Your Video
Once your video is posted, you can promote it! This is a great way for you to grow your account quickly.
There are three ways you can get to your promote page:
From Creator tools:
- On the TikTok mobile app, go to your profile.
- Tap the 3-line icon in the top right to go to your settings.
- Tap Creator tools, and then click Promote.
Directly From TikTok video:
- From the video that you want to promote, tap the three dots on the right.
- Click Promote.
From the TikTok Business Suite:
- From your profile, tap the 3-line icon in the top right.
- Then tap Business suite.
- Click Promote.
Now that you’ve clicked promote, it’s time to set up the promotion.
The first thing you need to do is set goals that will give you the best results for what you want to achieve. These are the promotion goal options:
- More video views: Helps get more people to watch your videos
- More website visits: Helps drive traffic to your website
- More followers: Helps you gain more followers
Next, you have to choose the audience you would like to reach. You can choose from:
- Automatic: TikTok chooses the audience for you
- Custom: You choose the genders, age ranged, and interests you want to reach
Then, you need to set your budget and duration, and then add your payment information.
Once you’ve completed all the steps above, you can click start promotion!
How to Advertise on TikTok
If you’re looking to grow your account, even more, you can advertise as part of your TikTok marketing strategy!
Here are the steps you need to follow to successfully advertise on the platform:
- Create your TikTok ad account
- Navigate to TikTok video Ads Manager
- Choose your billing country/region. Next, select whether you’re advertising a business or a personal account. Then click “Next”
- You will then be asked to give your email address and create a password.
- A verification code will then be sent to either your email or your phone depending on the verification method you chose.
- Lastly, agree to the terms and conditions, and click “Sign Up.”
- Install the TikTok Pixel
- Next, you’ll need to install the TikTok Pixel. The TikTok Pixel is a tool that you implement into your website. It allows you to track user activity, monitor your sales, and find the best audience for your advertisements.
- Once you install the pixel, you need to select “Standard” or “Developer” mode.
- Then it is time to set up a “Web Event.” For more in-depth information on how to install the TikTok Pixel, check out the article here https://ads.tiktok.com/help/article?aid=9663
- Create Your Campaign
- Now that you have the TikTok Pixel set up, it’s time to create your campaign. Navigate to your TikTok Ads profile and click on the “Campaigns” tab. Then, click the “Create” tab.
- Next, choose your campaign objective. Your three choices are drive traffic, conversions, and app installs.
- Give your campaign a name and set the campaign budget. Here’s our TikTok ads for beginners guide to help you get started with TikTok advertising.
Build Your Following
Over time, you should see your follower count and engagement rate increasing!
Make sure to stay active on your TikTok account and engage with your followers often. Keep a close eye on your comments daily so that you can respond to comments in a timely manner!
You should also be liking and commenting on other small business accounts videos as well. This will help your business build a great reputation on the platform.
When people see how active you are, they will be more likely to engage with your account! Read this post next to learn more tricks on how to increase social media engagement.
Create a Posting Schedule
A great way to efficiently manage your TikTok marketing strategy is to create a posting schedule.
You can create a simple schedule with just the days you are going to post, or you can create a more detailed schedule with the specific times you will be posting your content.
It all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to growing your TikTok account.
We recommend spending a good amount of time planning out your posting schedule.
You should look into your TikTok analytics to see what the best times to post are based on your target audience.
Your posting schedule should then align with the best days and times for you to maximize your engagement.
Analyze Your Content
Just like all social media marketing strategies, you need to analyze and optimize your content in your TikTok marketing strategy.
TikTok for Business users is given a lot of amazing analytics tools that you can use to your advantage.
Once you reach your TikTok analytics page, following the steps we mentioned above, you will see a lot of information about your account!
The first section you will see is the overview tab. There are many different metrics shown here:
- Video Views: The total number of times your videos have been viewed
- Profile Views: The total number of times your profile has been viewed. You can use this metric to track how many people are interested enough in your videos to check out your profile.
- Likes: The total number of likes your videos have received.
- Comments: The total number of comments your videos have received.
- Shares: The total number of shares your videos have received.
- Followers: The total number of followers your account has and the amount it has decreased/increased within the selected time period.
- Content: The total number of videos you have posted.
- LIVE: The total number of LIVE videos you have hosted.
The next section is the content tab. The measures shown here are:
- Trending videos: Your top nine videos with the fastest growing view count.
- Total video views: The total number of times a video has been viewed.
- Total like count of a post: The total number of likes a video has received.
- Total number of comments: The total number of comments a video has received.
- Total shares. The total number of shares a video has received.
- Total play time. The total amount of time people have spent watching your video. You can compare your post’s play time to find out your account’s average total play time.
- Average watch time: The average amount of time people spent watching your video. This is a great indication of whether or not your video could keep the audience’s attention.
- Watched full video. The total number of times the full video has been watched.
- Reached audience. The total number of users who watched your video.
- Video views by section: This section shows which traffic source your views are coming from. Traffic sources include the For You page, your profile, Following page, sounds, searches, and hashtags. You can use this metric to determine if the sounds and hashtags you are using are effective.
- Video views by region. This section shows the top locations of viewers for your post.
The Followers tab is the next section shown in TikTok analytics:
- Gender: This section will show you the distribution of your followers by their gender. You can use this to determine who your content is reaching.
- Top territories: This shows where your followers are from by country.
- Follower activity: This section shows the days and times that your followers are the most active. You should use this information to decide when you will post your videos.
- Videos your followers watched: This section shows you what type of content your followers watch. You can use this section to see what your followers are interested in and you can take inspiration for your videos!
- Sounds your followers listened to: This section shows you what sounds your followers are listening too. You should use this information to find trending audios you should use for your videos.
The last section is the LIVE tab. This section includes:
- Total views: The total number of viewers present during your live videos.
- Total time: The total time you have spent hosting live videos.
- New followers. The total number of followers you gained during your live videos.
- Top viewer count: The highest number of users who viewed your live video at one time.
- Unique viewers: The number of users who viewed your live video at least once.
- Diamonds: When you host a live video, viewers can send you gifts called “Diamonds.” These diamonds can then be exchanged for real money. This metric shows how many diamonds you have earned and if you are able to make money from them.
Overall, you should be checking your analytics weekly so you can see what is working for your business and what is not.
Utilizing TikTok analytics to your advantage will significantly help you grow your TikTok account fast and should be an essential part of your TikTok marketing strategy!
TikTok is growing rapidly, so you don’t want to miss out on the potential growth the popular platform offers for your business.
If you follow the steps in this ultimate guide, you will successfully create a TikTok marketing strategy for your Business and possibly create some viral videos.
This step-by-step guide teaches you everything you need to know!
If you need help with your TikTok marketing, check out our TikTok Management Services here.